In any event, how well individuals do on the quiz speaks volumes about both their age and their level of cultural literacy while growing up in days gone by. Enjoy…
A TEST FOR OLD KIDS
This is a test for us “old kids”! The answers are printed below; but don't cheat, as it spoils the fun.
01. After the Lone Ranger saved the day and rode off into the sunset, the grateful citizens would ask, Who was that masked man? Invariably, someone would answer, I don't know, but he left this behind. What did he leave behind?________________.
02. When the Beatles first came to the U.S. back in early 1964, we all watched them on The _______________ Show.
03 'Get your kicks, __________________.'
04. 'The story you are about to see is true. The names have been changed to ___________________.'
05. 'In the jungle, the mighty jungle, ________________.'
06. After the Twist, The Mashed Potato, and the Watusi, we 'danced' under a stick that was lowered as low as we could go in a dance called the '_____________.'
07. Nestle's makes the very best . .. . . _______________.
08. Satchmo was America 's 'Ambassador of Goodwill.' Our parents shared this great jazz trumpet player with us. His name was _________________.
09. What takes a licking and keeps on ticking? _______________.
10 . Red Skeleton's hobo character was named __________________ and Red always ended his television show by saying, 'Good Night, and ________________.'
11. Some Americans who protested the Vietnam War did so by burning their______________.
12. The cute little car with the engine in the back and the trunk in the front was called the VW. What other names did it go by? ____________ and _______________.
13. In 1971, singer Don MacLean sang a song about, 'the day the music died.' This was a tribute to ___________________.
14. We can remember the first satellite placed into orbit. The Russians did it. It was called ___________________.
15. One of the big fads of the late 50's and 60's was a large plastic ring that we twirled around our waist. It was called the_________________.
01. The Lone Ranger left behind a silver bullet.
02. The Ed Sullivan Show
03. On Route 66
04. protect the innocent
05. The Lion Sleeps Tonight
06. The limbo
08. Louis Armstrong
09. The Timex watch
10. Freddy, The Freeloader and 'God Bless'
11. Draft cards (Bras were also burned. Not flags, as some have guessed.)
12. Beetle or Bug
13. Buddy Holly
For my part, I got 14 out of 15. (Missed the Route 66 one!) So, how did you do? "Are you Smarter than a Senior Adult?" Well, one thing is for sure. If you are like me, whether you aced it or not, at least it kept you busy and let you forget your aches and pains for a few minutes!
And for you younger folks. You might be suirprised to discover just what all Senior Adults do know. And that not just about culture, but about life. In truth, their many years have allowed them to accumulate not just knowledge, but also wisdom. So, feel free to pick their brains ever so often. You might ne surprised at what all they know, and at what all you can learn from them too.