A professor in a college ethics class presented his students with a problem. He said, "A man has syphilis and his wife has tuberculosis. They have had four children: one has died; the other three have what is considered to be a terminal illness.
The mother is pregnant. What do you recommend?" After a spirited discussion, the majority of the class voted that she should abort the child. "Fine," said the professor. "You've just killed Beethoven."
The source for Swindoll’s story is listed as the February, 1984 edition of HIS Magazine. The veracity of what underlies this story is attested to in an incident cited by Pulitzer Prize-winning author Edmund Morris, who relates the following in his book, Beethoven: the Universal Composer (New York: Harper-Collins Publishers, 2005, p.11):
The British playwright Enid Bagnold once asked a feminist what advice she would give to a twenty-three-year-old housewife who, having lost four children, found herself pregnant again by an abusive, alcoholic husband. "I would urge her to terminate the pregnancy," the feminist replied. "Then," said Ms. Bagnold, "you would have aborted Beethoven."
For my part, I love music – a wide variety of types. I am even beginning to enjoy classical a little. However, I know this much: whether my tastes in music include classical or not, the world would be a much sadder place without the works of Ludwig Van Beethoven. I am glad his mother chose not to abort him. I am glad he was given a chance to live, and thereby, a chance to make a difference in this world.
This evening, a crowd of several hundred people has gathered at the First Baptist Church in Lenoir City to pledge their support to the HOPE Resource Center: a crisis pregnancy ministry located here in our community.
I am thankful for all who have chosen to support this crucial ministry - the mission of which is simply to bring hope in order to save lives and save souls. Over the past year, in the greater Knoxville metro area, HOPE Resource Center served 2,930 young women and men! Here are a few statistics:
- 4,528 free services were provided, including pregnancy testing and options counseling, first trimester limited ultrasound exams, post-abortion support and recovery, “Earn While You Learn Education Bucks”, and/or other material assistance
- 1,451 clients were presented with the Gospel of Jesus Christ
- 79 of these clients made a decision to receive Christ!
- 352 clients were abortion minded when they came in
- 193 of these clients chose life instead!
- 764 women and men have been tested for sexually transmitted diseases
- 101 of these committed to abstinence after meeting with client advocates.
You will find them at: http://www.hoperesourcecenterknoxville.com/. Who knows, the life you save might be that of the world’s next great composer?!